Philosophy of Kids Ministry
- The home is the primary environment for faith formation in our children.
- Dad and Mom are the primary faith formers in their children.
- The church is an important complement to faith formation at home, especially in equipping parents for the task of spiritual parenting.
- The church blesses children with “spiritual fathers and mothers” – faith-nurturing adults outside of their nuclear family.
- For Kids Ministry (children through grade 5) we use TRU Curriculum.
Baptism and Baby Dedication
- The WHY Church honors both theological frameworks: infant baptism and baby dedication.
- Important note: Baptism is not just for children, but for people at any age who are beginning their life with Christ (or who have not yet been baptized).
- Preparation for baptism or baby dedication is completed by meeting 1-on-1 with Pastor Bjorn Dixon.
- At this occasion a child receives his or her own Beginner’s Bible.
3rd Grade Bible
- In the fall of their 3rd grade year, children receive their own Hands-On Bible during Sunday morning worship.
- The Hands-On Bible is an interactive format in the New Living Translation (NLT), designed for children ages 6-12.
- The ideal age for First Communion can vary from child to child, so we intentionally leave room for flexibility and discernment.
- 5th grade is the typical age at which we celebrate First Communion.
- Preparation for First Communion is completed by attending the 1-time gathering for children and their parents in the early part of the year.
- First Communion is celebrated at the first Communion Sunday of Lent.